Job Purpose: To help coordinate the programmatic and network expansion of Japan-America Society of Central Ohio (JASCO)’s activities into western and northwestern Ohio
Throughout collaboration with both the existing JASCO network of industry, civic, art, and education arts, as well as partners in the target areas, you will help JASCO to further develop into a regional center of Japan-America exchange and outreach and reach a broader audience through programming that promotes the understanding of contemporary Japan and the modern US-Japan relationship and aligns with JASCO’s Core Values of Creating Cultural Understanding, Improving Japanese Business Success, Building Relationships, and Fostering Education.
Duties and Responsibilities: In coordination with the JASCO Executive Director and Director of Programming, as well as members of the JASCO Board of Directors and Programming Committee, you will assist with the expansion of JASCO programming into western and northwestern Ohio, focusing on three primary geographic areas: Dayton, Sidney/Troy, and Findlay.
You will help to develop Cultural Workshops and Outreach Events, Business Seminars, and Networking/Community Events in each region. In this role, you will assist in determining event themes and topic, finding event sites, and organizing and supervising business seminar speakers, cultural workshop leaders, and event volunteers.
In coordination with the JASCO Executive Director, Director of Programming, and Board Treasurer, you will budget and manage finances related to these programs.
- Experience in education and outreach is a plus
- Experience in program development and project management is a plus
- Strong understanding of both English and Japanese, with speaking and writing skills in both languages
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, OneDrive, and PowerPoint)
- Experience in designing event promotional materials is a plus
- Experience with web-based CMS systems is a plus
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, especially across US-Japan cultures, and sensitivity to working with and across the two cultures and to an increasingly diverse Ohio community
- Capable of working independently and with others
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with co-workers, board members, and volunteers
- Ability to work effectively in a limited time frame
- Ability to travel by either your own car or reliable transportation means
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as dictated by the JASCO event schedule
The JASCO office is in the Dublin Entrepreneurial Center at 565 Metro Place South, Suite 300, Dublin, OH 43017. However, you will be allowed to work remotely from home as arranged with the Executive Director and Director of Programming.
You will be required to travel to various locations across western and northwestern Ohio to coordinate and oversee events. As such, an individual living in any of the target areas for this programming expansion (Dayton/Sidney/Troy/Findlay areas) is preferred.
You will also be required to travel to Dublin for monthly in-person JASCO staff meetings.
Work Hours: 10-15 hours/week
Your weekly schedule will vary according to your availability, the week’s events, and the availability of the Executive Director and Director of Programming.
You will be required to submit your hours weekly to the Executive Director.
Compensation: The hourly wage for this position is $15 per hour.
In addition, you will be compensated at the IRS rate for mileage driven in your personal automobile for travel related to your duties as JASCO Programming Assistant.
Position Start Date: July 1, 2020
Position Term Period: July 1, 2020 – March 31, 2022
How to Apply: Please send a copy of your resume to Benjamin Pachter (JASCO Executive Director), email@example.com